Governor Scott does not have jurisdiction over issues decided upon by local elected officials including local code enforcement issues. If you have concerns about such an issue, please contact your locally elected officials. Contact information for cities and counties can be obtained on www.myflorida.com at the links below.



Local School Districts

County school systems are administered by locally elected school board members and by superintendents of schools. Your best source of assistance for concerns about the administration of a public school or the decisions of the county school board is to contact your school board member and the Superintendent’s office. Contact information can be found at the Florida Department of Education’s Web site at http://www.fldoe.org/schools/schoolmap/flash/district_list.asp

Municipal Utilities

Municipal utilities in Florida are primarily regulated by their elected city commissions, either directly or through appointed boards. The Public Service Commission (PSC) does not regulate the rates charged or services provided to consumers by municipal utilities and the Public Service Commission is unable to instruct a municipally owned utility to reduce rates overall, nor does the PSC have jurisdiction over service quality, deposit requirements or disconnection policies for these utilities. Contact information for local cities and counties can be obtained on the web site www.myflorida.com

http://www.myflorida.com/cities/ and http://www.myflorida.com/counties/.

Property Taxes

The property taxes levied on an individual parcel depend on two independent factors, namely the value of the property and the rate of taxation. The property’s value is determined during the annual assessment process conducted by the County Property Appraiser and represents the value as of January 1 of the assessment year.

The rate of taxation is determined by each local government (county, school board, water management and perhaps other independent districts and, if you live in a city, the municipality) in the annual budgetary process.

If you have questions about the valuation of your property, you may wish to contact your local Property Appraiser’s office. If you wish to appeal the valuation of your property, you may file an appeal with the local Value Adjustment Board in your county. Information about property taxes and contact information for local property appraisers can be found at the Florida Department of Revenue’s web site at http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/property/ or by calling (850) 717-6570.

Public Housing

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly and people with disabilities. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers federal aid to local Public Housing Agencies that manage housing for low-income residents and provide a range of services, including shelter, food, counseling, and jobs skills programs.

Information about home ownership, rental help, and homeless services can be found online at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Web site at www.hud.gov or by calling 1-800-225-5342.

Contact information for local housing authorities can be found on the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Web site at www.hud.gov/offices/pih/pha/contacts/states/fl.cfm


Comments are closed.